Thursday, September 16, 2010

Generations of Favorite Cows


The picture shown above is of me and my Ayrshire Senior 3 year cow "Wendy". She was Grand Champion in the open show and Reserve Grand Champion in the Junior show. My 4 year old Ayrshire "Susan" was Reserve Grand in the open show and Grand in the Junior show. It's kinda funny how it worked out that way. Also my Senior 3 year old Holstein cow "Pride"was Grand Champion of the open show and the Junior show! So needless to say, I had a really, really good Wayne County Fair!!!

I purchased Wendy at the the Spring sale in Columbus for $1500 when she was just a baby calf. She came from Connebella Farms in Pennsylvania. Ever since I bought her she has always been one of my favorites. I have taken her into into numerous showmanship contests and almost always I have came out at the top of the class. She is the best tempered cow I have and always leads like a dream.  She was scored excellent 90 points as a 3 year old.

I also purchased Susan but I bought her at the Fall sale in Wooster when she was also just a calf. She was a "jackpot" calf which is where they sell 5 calves (and hold back a certain percentage of the money that the calves bring in the sale) and then the calf that makes the best milk record as a 2 year old cow wins part of the pot of money that was made when they sold. Susan made the best record as a 2 year old and i won $1100 back! Susan came from Shiredale farms out in Western Ohio. Susan has won many Grand Champions and has won me lots of money. She is also one of my favorite cows and is scored excellent 92 points as a 4 year old.

Pride is one of my Holstein cows that comes from many generations of my family's breeding. Her sire is Messland Duplex-ET and her dam was my first "Excellent" cow scoring 91 points. Pride's second calf is a Pronto Junior calf and this calf is my favorite because she is so good tempered and is also really nice. Pride's Great-Grandmother was the first cow that I ever owned and I picked her out when I was just 2 years old! She is now 13 years old and hasn't milked in 6 years but I just can't sell her because all of my good Holsteins go back to her. So she is out on pasture and is always out there to look at! Pride scored 90 points as a 3 year old and was my first Holstein Grand Champion which is really special!
______________________________________________________________________________

The author Tanner Topp is 15 years old and is a Freshman at Northwestern High School. He enjoys playing Football, Baseball, and Wrestling. His favorite hobby is to take care of the cows at home and to go to any cow show and have a great time! On the farm he likes to mix feed for the cows and feed the show calves.

No comments:

Post a Comment