Sunday, September 12, 2010

Sweet Caroline!


The first thing I did this morning when I got to the fair was milk my cow, Caroline - she made 35 pounds!  (She gets milked twice per day and makes a total of about 65 - 70 pounds).  When I got back to the barn, I fed her some of her TMR (which stands for total mixed ration and includes corn silage, hay and other feed stuffs).  After she was finished eating, I took her and her four month old calf, Carolina outside where I gave them their daily baths.  All day after they were clean, I kept a watchful eye on them to make sure they didn't get dirty and continued to feed them.

Last night, I showed both of them.  Caroline received 4th place in her class and Carolina was 8th place.  I purchased Caroline three years ago at the Ohio Spring Dairy Expo sale.  She was my first 4H project and I bought her with my own money.  When I was really little, I started saving money that I got as gifts from my family and after nine years of saving, I finally had enough to buy Caroline!  Caroline is very friendly and really likes to be petted!

______________________________________________________________________________

Author Brennan Topp is tweleve years old and goes to Northwestern Middle School where he plays football and wrestles. Brennan also loves to dairy judge, he even won 1st place junior in last year's Ohio Dairy Judging contest and was on the first place junior team.  On the farm, Brennan feeds the 2 - 4 month old calves and is in charge of giving the little calves in hutches grain and water every night.

1 comment:

  1. Brennan I love your cow! Congrats on your accomplishments. I grew up showing Simmental cattle. 4-H shows are some of the best memories I have keep up the great work.

    www.cdycattle.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete